Pages

Monday, December 18, 2006

100 Things You Can Do to Get Ready for Peak Oil

Most people haven't started thinking about the real future. That's mostly because they are still living in today's unreal present. You can't easily think about later unless you have a good grasp on now. The author of this article, however, may be planning for the real future.

If you are like me and you have been raised in a suburban, shopping mall, freeway to anywhere kind of world, your first read through this list will bring yesterday to your mind rather than tomorrow. It is true, much of the knowledge she is suggesting you acquire consists of skills that your grandfather and grandmother had to learn. But if you read carefully, and even between the lines, you will start to understand that these are not so much skills that she is asking us to learn but rather a new attitude. She is laying out a new way to view your world. And if we can accept that, we might be able to accept our new future as well.

I must be honest. I have not acquired that new attitude yet. I have not been able to modify my world nor the views of those I share it with. Intellectually, I believe I can understand the need but emotionally I have not accepted it yet. Maybe it is because I am as old as I am. Maybe it is because I am as comfortable as I am. Either way it is hard to blend my mind with my heart in this matter. I believe that I will know when I have achieved that goal however. It will be when this list seems essential and reasonable.

[Link: 100 Things You Can Do to Get Ready for Peak Oil]

No comments: