Pages

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Recent Reflections

I haven't posted for awhile.  It isn't because the problems of resource depletion have gone away, however.  I just lost faith in the power of logic and rational discussion to overcome the insurmountable optimism emanating from the exponents of capitalism and technology.  Uncontrolled resource consumption, and its unavoidable side-effects, resource depletion, climate change and over-population, is not just a consequence of our lifestyle it has become a primary goal for the planet.  There will be no logical stepping away from our idiocy.  There evidently will be no further discussion, period.

In particular, I can see no one in a position of power in our society making a case for reduction in consumption of hydrocarbons.  The discussion is all about more digging (in whatever form that takes with today's extraction technology), energy company tax breaks and removing whatever constraints might be in place to protect our environment from the consequences of this activity.  Politicians are pointing to all of the jobs that are generated producing "harder to extract" oil.  No one has pointed out that all of those new jobs and industrial activity is what is making oil more expensive.  We are locked into this mode of thinking and I really do not think it will ever change in time to provide any sort of relief from resource depletion's worst case scenario.

Time is not on our side.  If we wait until it hurts, there will be no relief.  The crazy weather has already begun.  Probably most of the political unrest in the Middle East and economic upheaval going on in Europe today is related to our unrestrained  consumption.  A few years ago when I became aware of the resource depletion issue and the Peak Oil/Climate Change dilemma,  I was convinced we would recognize the dangers and modify our behavior towards its moderation.  I am no longer so convinced.  There is no real pathway to that outcome.  Any discussion towards that end should probably be categorized as fiction or maybe even fantasy.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

John Weber said...

Bill - I wrote the essay "To Die For" where you left a comment. I had a typo that I have since corrected.
"There is one legitimate “Yes, but . . .
You CAN"T get there (wherever there is) from here!"
Looking at your essays and followed blogs, I think we are on the same page.
I was stationed at McCord in early 60s so we might even be of the same age.
Couldn't figure out how to email you other than this. Thanks for reading my blog. Would like to follow yours.

John Weber said...

Bill - I saw your post at "To Die For". I don't understand how to email you. My email is dragnfly (at) arvig.net.
Notice there is no O in dragnfly.
I am not a great corresponder but it would be interesting to connect.