Pages

Monday, October 05, 2009

Peak Oil: The End Of the Oil Age is Near, Deutsche Bank Says

[Link: Environmental Capital - WSJ] "Deutsche Bank expects the electric car to become a truly “disruptive technology” which takes off around the world, sending demand for gasoline into an “inexorable and accelerating decline.”

Five years ago I bought a new car. I had just retired and I wanted to have a car I could depend on in my retirement years. I told my wife that this could possible be the last gasoline powered car we would ever own. Our next car could very well be electric. At the time, we got a good chuckle out of that.

Well, it looks like Deutsche Bank has come to the same conclusion. Predicting the end of the oil age, they say the electric car will replace the internal combustion engine powered car that has come to symbolize the material age that we are living in. The Peak Oilers (myself included) have been saying that the oil age is eminent for some time now but they have been assuming the oil supply will begin to dwindle and we will be forced to give up our addiction whether we like it or not. I think Deutsche Bank is underestimating how many other ways we will find to use the oil if we don't use it in our cars but the point is still made. Whether we run out or just don't want to use it any longer doesn't really matter I guess. we are approaching the end of the petro-road and we should be getting ready for whatever lies beyond.

No comments: